Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Dedicated to Dear Ol’ Dad: eBooks for Father’s Day

by Michael Lovett of OverDrive

Growing up, I had two role models—my dad and my brother. My brother was, and still is, my best friend. I can turn to him for advice, argue with him about Cleveland sports and talk to him about things I can’t talk to anyone else about.

When we were kids I always thought of our dad as a superhero.  He was stronger than anyone I knew, was always there for us, and always had an answer for anything that could have been wrong.  He never missed an athletic event and somehow managed to be both a full-time business owner and full-time father to four very needy kids.  To this day, I still call my Pops every day, if only just to say hi.

A little over a year ago, a little miracle happened, and my brother became a dad for the first time as well. I’ve watched him through his daughter’s first year of life as he adjusted to being a father himself.  One thing I’ve noticed is how similar both he and our Pops are.  They know what to say, are always there for their children and are fiercely protective of their family. My brother won’t like to hear this, but he’s more like our father than I think he realizes.

With Father's Day coming up, here are some titles from our collection that all the dads out there will enjoy:

"Sh*T My Dad Says"
After being dumped by his longtime girlfriend, twenty-eight-year-old Justin Halpern found himself living at home with  his seventy-three-year-old dad. Sam Halpern, who is "like Socrates, but angrier, and with worse hair," has never minced words, and when Justin moved back home, he began to record all the ridiculous things his dad said to him:
"That woman was sexy. . . . Out of your league? Son, let women figure out why they won't screw you. Don't do it for them."


Red and Me: My Coach, My Lifelong Friend”: Bill Russell’s classic narrative about of his relationship with his coach, Red Auerbach, explores one of the more unlikely friendships you’ll find. It tells how two men, whose backgrounds could not be more different, came together out of a common goal.  The Russell-Auerbach dynamic is similar to many relationships between fathers and their children.  The two parties start out butting heads a lot, only to end up being closer than any friendship you ever thought possible.

Another great title from our father’s personal collection include George R.R. Martin’s immensely popular “Song of Fire and Ice” epic series.

Father’s Day is a time to celebrate the special bond that can only be formed by years of arguments, lessons and memories shared with Dad. While I’m not a father myself yet, I am fortunate to have two amazing examples on how to be a great dad.  I want to wish a very happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there, but especially to Jason and our Pops.


No comments: