Thursday, January 19, 2012

It’s the end of the word!!…in these eBooks & eAudio Books


I handle my fears in varying degrees of what I can manage and what I cannot. For example, spiders are terrifying. Whenever I see one I immediately panic, but then I rationalize that I am bigger than the spider and should it come down to a battle, I would probably win. It’s the same thing with airplanes. The thought of being 30,000 feet in the air in a metal cage reduces me to a sweating ball of nerves and tears, but then I remember that the Kardashians fly all over the world and they are still (annoyingly) here. These things I can rationalize, I can talk myself down and usually overcome the anxiety.
That being said, I cannot manage thinking about the end of the world. I don’t even like to talk about it because I know I will have horrifying nightmares. Yes, I am 24-years-old and can rationalize poisonous spider bites and plane crashes, but not the apocalypse. The irony is not lost on me. Some people think the world will end this year. I try not to think about it because, for some reason, I always end up thinking about zombies. Try rationalizing a flesh eating zombie! Let’s not get into it, I’m trying to avoid the nightmares and keep my fears on the manageable level—but here’s some titles for those of you who don’t mind thinking about the ‘end.’



World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War By Max Brooks: ZOMBIES ZOMBIES ZOMBIES! Considering that I think this is how we are all going to go, this was a tough and terrifying read. However, it’s very entertaining and should the zombie apocalypse actually happen—I feel I am better prepared.

The Children of Men By P.D. James: James’ version of the apocalypse isn’t sudden. There isn’t some cataclysmic event that sends us to our impending doom. It’s simply time. The human race has become infertile and the last generation of children has reached adulthood. The structure of the world has crumbled and most have succumbed to the despair by taking their own lives. One woman holds the key to civilization’s unlikely survival, if she can prove it.

Provided by Christina Bernecker is a training associate for OverDrive.

No comments: