Thursday, September 17, 2009

Random Thursday - Choosing a Media Player

I love audio books.

I always seem to have four things going on at the same time. Most of the time, they're things that only need my hands, or my eyes, or my mind, or my ears, but not all of them at the same time.

When I'm doing stuff with just my hands and my eyes, I love to listen to audio books. (Driving during rush hour when the traffic is blazing along at 2 mph is a great example.)

Because we in the Virtual Library are the "eBook Experts", we often get asked "What is the best media player? What should I buy?"

Sorry, I can't answer that. I don't know what player is best for you. What I can do is show you a list of the media players that are compatible with the eMedia we have available in the library.

We get eMedia from two companies: Overdrive and NetLibrary. They each do things a little differently, but the overall result is the same.

Overdrive published a great short article about some of the features that come on the different media players. Knowing what you want to do with your player goes a long way in helping decide which player to purchase.

Then, both Overdrive and NetLibrary give you lists and help selecting media players that are compatible with their products. (I look for a media player that is compatible with both!)

Overdrive's Media Player Page

NetLibrary's Media Player Page

Between these three pages, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of what you're looking for in a Media Player, and from there your best bet is to read the online reviews.

Best of luck!

No comments: