Monday, June 29, 2009

To Play the Fool - Wrap Up

I read To Play the Fool when I want to take a kind of a thrilling vacation.

I've visited San Francisco several times, but have always visited a specific place or event, rather than the city itself. I've been to the Wharf - for about an hour. I've walked up steep hills - 8 1/2 months pregnant and terrified of slipping. I've seen a seal and smelled the fish, and eaten in a seafood restaurant. (I don't eat seafood.)

Reading this book lets me "visit" SF without any of the inconveniences, like trying to drive uphill from a dead stop with a stick-shift car, or trying to find a parking space. (I lost a parked car in SF!)

Fool also gives me an emotional "in" to two communities with which I'm not very familiar - the homeless community and LGBT community. The homeless are always seen as a "problem." This book humanizes the homeless, and helps me talk with them as people rather than as "the homeless."

I'm far more familiar with the gay community, but never really get a chance to experience day-to-day LGBT life. On one hand, they're "just like us" (well, duh!). On the other, they face challenges and inconveniences which I cannot adequately comprehend. Fool helps make the unfamiliar, familiar, and unthreatening.

When you finished To Play the Fool, did you feel as if you'd visited new places and cultures?

No comments: