Thursday, March 26, 2009

Random Thursday - Audie Award Finalists

The Audie Awards, from the Audio Publishers' Association, have been celebrating and rewarding the finest in spoken word entertainment for the last eight years. The 2009 list of finalists was announced in February.

There are about 135 finalists in 31 different categories.

I love audiobooks. I listen to them when I'm driving, and when I'm doing hand-work. They're fantastic when I'm out walking or at the gym. I usually get a particularly enthralling mystery title, and only allow myself to listen to it while I'm actually exercising. No "just listening to the last little bit in the car." If I want to hear the next exciting bit, I have to be moving.

We're exceptionally lucky here in the Las Vegas-Clark County Library District. We buy a lot of audio books - either on CD, or in downloadable format. I particularly like the downloadables when I'm flying. I can put four or five books on my MP3 player. I don't have to juggle all those discs on the crowded plane. My sound deadening headphones are significantly larger than my MP3 player. It makes my carry-on smaller and lighter.

Check out this list of some of the Audie finalists that the Library District owns, either in CD or downloadable audio format.

Who do you think will win? Take a listen, and make your choices! The Audie Winners will be announced at the "Audie Gala" in New York City, on May 29th.

No comments: