Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Folly - Introduction

Folly is a pretty incredible book about a woman who has lost her mind, and retreats to an isolated and unhabited island to decide what to do with her life.

I selected this book because it is packed with different themes and information about incredibly diverse topics. Although one of the recurring themes is depression and suicide, it's not a depressing book.

The characters in the book are diverse and quirky.

It has a mystery. There's a romance. There's a bit toward the end that scares me so much that my toes curl, every time I read it.

For the month of October, it even has a spook, after a fashion.

It's almost made me want to move up to the San Juan Islands, off the coast of Washington, on more than one occasion.

Just a warning - in the first chapter, Rae is certifiably nuts. Roll with it, and things will start to come together in the second chapter!

No comments: