Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sister's Keeper - Surprise Ending

No, I'm not going to tell you the ending. There are enough spoilers out there already.

Let's just say that the facial tissue industry has experienced a boom, and has declared several special dividends, while I was reading this book. (If you haven't hit the end yet, just have a box of tissue ready. Or two. Or three.) It doesn't seem to matter how many times I read this.

I never saw that coming. Any part of it.

I didn't see the reason for the lawsuit. I didn't see the outcome of the lawsuit.

I didn't see... I just didn't see.

In one of the interviews with Jodi Picoult (scroll down to the second to last question), she says that this is the first of her books that one of her kids read. Her son was so distressed by the ending that he just refused to talk to his mom for a while.

There just wasn't any good way for this book to end. I didn't think it would be good, but I didn't think it would be this. I just kept thinking that the author would find a happy ending.

Was there any other way this book could have ended that would have been "better"?

No comments: